Negotiating Alternative Solutions
You may be convinced that a flexible schedule or telecommuting
is the perfect arrangement, but how do you convince your employer?
The keywords are research and planning.
First, determine if the alternative youre considering
is really right for you. Ask yourself:
- Am I disciplined enough to make the position work?
- Can I afford the reduction in income and/or benefits?
- Do I thrive in an office environment or do I feel stifled
- Do I have the self-motivation to work if I dont
have a supervisor managing me?
- Am I aware of and ready for the social implications of
being away from the office?
Once youve determined youre ready, its
time to convince your manager that the arrangement will benefit
the company as well. Developing a winning proposal
will be a crucial cornerstone to your argument.